The Department of Mathematics, Cotton College, Guwahati is as old as the college itself. The department along with the college was established on May 27, 1901 with Prof. Indubhusan Brahmachari, an eminent scholar, as Head of the Department. The subject was introduced in the degree classes in 1910. The department continued to be one of the best departments of Mathematics under the University of Calcutta throughout. Since the inception of the Gauhati University in 1948 it has been able to maintain its status and frame. Subsequently PG classes started in 1974.